Friday, September 14, 2012

Sedums

It's easy to see why most people have at least one kind of Sedum in their yards. This pink old-fashioned one has been around seemingly forever. It's among the first to flower for me in the late summer/early autumn. The first photo also shows Grandpa Ott's morning glory, one of the very best varieties that easily seeds itself, behind the Sedum. Seeds from Grandpa Ott will definitely be going up to Sans Souci.
I also enjoy Helenium or tick-seed called that because the seeds of the wild or species Heleniums tend to stick to fur and clothing thereby hitching a ride to new locations, but not in an annoyingly cloying way. This particular one is a volunteer that I like better than the one I bought because the flowers are larger and the yellow is so bright. This one is about two feet tall.
This Eupatorium, probably coelestinum, came from my Grandfather's garden and I have moved a piece of it every time I've moved. I love, love, love the heirloom plants in my garden because they evoke memories. That means that this Eupatorium has been with me for about 60 years. Who knows how long my Grandfather Firn Harding had it. I'll bet he got his from his mother's (Esther Harding) garden when he moved his family from the country near South Lyon and New Hudson to Rosedale Park. Photographs never seem to capture the delicate gorgeous blue color. Pity.
       (Clicking on photos enlarges them - maybe the blue will show up better?)

No comments: