Saturday, August 17, 2019

Mark Visits

I remember all too well the days leading up to the mid-August Woodward Dream(?) Cruise. Lots of cars, people, and noise. Usually on very hot and muggy days. Always starting days or weeks before and lasting days after too. I do not miss it.

Mark came from Miami, Florida for a short visit last week. The primary reason for the visit was for him and Julie to have a memorial in Howell after the recent passing of their mother Dianne. They also spent a few days at the 100 year old family cottage on Silver Lake near South Lyon and Whitmore Lake.

I'm very grateful that he also found time to take a long drive here in order to visit me in my new home on the shores of Lake Huron. It would be awesome if he and Valeria and Maribel would all be able to come next time. I would love to get to know them.

David suggested that we dine at the Stone Lodge in nearby Port Sanilac; Mark had walleye - and I should have too. Perhaps next time? There were, as usual, a lot of Q-Tips there including me and my neighbors John and Nancy.

Although Mark seems to be a bit camera shy, I did manage to take a few shots of places we visited and him. This is a facsimile of a painting that hangs in the Detroit Institute of Arts, I miss the DIA. We found this in Port Austin near the harbor. We discussed how this would look in my home but, alas, I have no wall space. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.



We were lucky that the weather was unusually mild for the middle August so we could be outside without being uncomfortable. Of course the Icelandic Sheepdogs dogs entertained us - lots.



Grindstone City gets its name from the hundreds of grindstones they made over the years. They no longer make them but some that were damaged during their manufacture have been used for breakwaters. You can easily see the outlines and even the holes in the middle of these huge mistakes.




The water levels of the Great Lakes is way up this summer; small, low lying islands have been consumed by the risen water leaving the skeletons of dead trees exposing were they had been. The birds still find convenient roosting spots on the branches.






I expected that we were going to add an Icelandic Sheepdog puppy to our small and old family but it didn't work out. Stuff happens; it's all good.


Kit (above) and I have started obedience classes at All Dogs Can in Lapeer, Michigan. We've progressed so fast during the first three sessions that this coming week Paulette, the instructor, has moved us from the first level beginner class to the next level up. Kit works for praise. She is disinterested in treats. Or toys. (I'll keep trying to use them but praise seems to work best.) We will most likely continue as long as the weather holds - and perhaps beyond too. It's a bit of a drive but Kit is a good traveler.

Brad Pitt - aka Bear

No sooner had Mark left than Jon and Tracy came up the next day for the weekend. I prepped Sans Souci and made sure the newly updated water supply works. I'm glad they came because I always feel sad after company leaves. (I think the last time Mark and I saw one another was during my parent's Golden Wedding anniversary at our Royal Oak home - that's a long time ago.) Although the dogs are great company, it is still lonely here and I miss human companionship. Jon and Tracy and Frank and Warhol are much loved here.

No comments: