Thursday, July 29, 2021

Currant Pie

 Grandpa Harding was one of the earliest orthodontists in Detroit with an office in the Fisher Building. However, he was at heart a farm boy who grew gardens his whole life. I clearly remember his currant patch behind their house on West Outer Drive in Rosedale Park. The plants were tall, stretching over my head. From his crop we made currant jelly and currant pies. Through the years, every time I've moved, I've taken either new cuttings or small plants with me. So, in effect, I still have his original plants even now up here near Forestville. They are not fast growers but finally this year I had enough berries to make my first currant pie in decades. Yummy. Perhaps it's an acquired taste. I don't know. I know my brother David and I always loved the tangy sweet flavor. When she was alive Aunt Jean would manage to pull a frozen currant pie out of the freezer. We both clearly remember the last time she did that for us. One of my guests this past weekend shared a slice of pie and, I think, liked it. Currant pie and vanilla ice cream. Perfect dessert.






Jon and Tracy came up this past weekend; it seems like two months since they've been here. We had a good time but we always do. Jon believes he's a grill master but he lets the charcoal burn completely leaving only ash when he's finished grilling. I've suggested he close the grill to conserve the briquets. I've suggested he start the fire early; he likes squirting lighter fluid on the charcoal and watching the flames soar. I guess it's a dude thing. I doubt he was ever seriously a boy scout. 





Tracy makes the most amazing breakfasts when she's here. We used to go out for breakfast/lunch but Covid changed all that so for months now it's home cooking and truly splendid stuff.






The weekend was the annual Port Huron to Mackinaw sailboat race. We've had tons of rain this summer most of it with very strong winds. That does not stop these intrepid sailors. We only see them from a distance but for me it's always evocative of my Father's sailboat.


A lovely months long floral display of two hydrangeas.





 


No comments: