Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Little Red Hen

 One of my north neighbors keeps chickens for eggs. I believe he buys chicks in the spring, feeds, houses, protects them until the next spring. I think he releases them, or at least some of them, which is why for a short, too short, time this plucky bird worked my yard. I truly enjoyed watching her scratch for food and wander around. Yesterday morning as I got ready to drive out I saw my fox scamper across the driveway. Haven't seen my hen since. I know that's the circle. I realize her chances of survival were slim. But I hoped. 


Red Hen Outside the Fenced Front Yard

She even managed to get through 
the cyclone fence into my fenced front yard.

Beside the fish pond

I wish she had stayed inside the fenced area. 

She might have been more protected.


One of my favorite childhood stories was the little red hen who did everything herself for herself and her chicks. "Bon, je le fait moi meme." Along with the little engine that could those stories shaped my entire adult life. 


Recently I had a flood in my pole barn. I stepped through the entry door into an inch of water all over the floor. Four rugs were soaked and I had to haul them all outside, the bottoms of some upholstered chairs were wet, two doors were soaked and need to be replaced. It took me hours but I managed to scoop and mop up all the water. However, it was still coming out from a busted pipe; my water bill is going to swamp me! (Ha, ha!) Mark was able to come the next day and fix the leak. He will come back to top things off soon. Might have been a broken valve. 


I asked some friends for help - but like the little red hen, I did it myself. On the plus side, the floors have never been cleaner. I fixed the bedroom window screen and cleaned things there up. I also cleaned up the door-wall and took both long damaged screens in to be repaired. The door-wall screen had been destroyed when a dog ran through it in an attempt to go outside. I also need to buy another dehumidifier. Lessons learned. Gawd, I hope so.



No comments: