Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My day was significantly brightened by a call from Fred and Annette. I love hearing from them. They just adopted an 18 month old Rottweiler girl that was about to be put down (because she chased a cat!?) We love our dogs! Annette assured me that eagles would not be able to carry off Kria, their Loa's mom. She said eagles are very curious; they were just checking things out. I love that they're thinning out my rabbits - well, technically, they're not "mine"; they're wild. They had a busy productive summer.

Every morning is beautiful and every morning is different!

The morning started out beautiful, another gorgeous fall day.


By the time I got back home to the dogs, the expected rain had started. Didn't matter. A very nice day for a drive.
My driveway, fall colors, Lake Huron in the distance.

Same driveway, closer to the Lake.
Clicking on photos enlarges them.

When I got back I planted (in the rain) another eight Norway Spruce trees - one gallon size along the north bluff/road to the beach. This is the perfect time to plant evergreens. The roots can still grow because the soil is warm; therefore they will be ready to grow next spring! The one Norway Spruce I planted this time last fall grew a central candle of almost 18" this year. I could transplant some volunteer evergreen trees from my mixed pine/spruce forest but the shock would set them back a year. (I know; I already did that last year. They are recovered now but their candles were about an inch or less this year. Next year? Watch out!)

You can't tell by looking at the driveway, but this spring and summer, I spent many hours cleaning the brush along the driveway in. (I recycle everything.) I still have some old red-twig dogwoods and scrub willows to remove but I'm not in a hurry. The days have to be cool enough to work and also overcast. There will be enough days this fall to finish before the snow flies - I hope.

No comments: