Friday, May 15, 2020

Friday, May 15, 2020

I am continuously amazed at the willful ignorance of so many of my fellow country folks. Thankfully I have some nearby distractions. Now I don't have to travel two hours in order to see the various migrations of returning birds. They come to me. Some, like the goldfinch, stay here year round. Others pick the appropriate time and fly back north to begin courtship, nesting, and brood raising. After talking with David and Carolyn, I bought some citrus fruits and fed the orioles. I'd forgotten how many fly through here on the way to nesting grounds further north. Dozens and dozens picked my oranges clean in less than five minutes. I will not be feeding them all - again.

American Goldfinch - Spinus tristis tistis
Feeding on Birch flowers

American Goldfinch - Spinus tristis tistis

American Goldfinch - Spinus tristis tistis

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird - Archelocus colubis

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird - Archelocus colubis

Baltimore Oriole Male - Icterus galbula

Baltimore Oriole - Icterus galbula

Baltimore Oriole Female - Icterus galbula

Baltimore Oriole - Icterus galbula

No comments: