Sunday, January 30, 2022

January 30, 2022

 The Icelandic Sheepdogs that live here at San Salvatore had a really nice visit from Kaffi and Koko, Watson's half brothers. (Brothers from another mother - as it were.) I was only slightly concerned that there might be issues but the eight Icies got along fabulously. The three brothers played until almost exhausted. I'm thinking that all Icies speak "Icelandic Doggerel" which is why they all seem to understand one another.


The morning opened with another lovely sunrise. People who aren't awakened by their dogs often miss the best part of the day, in my opinion. After a really nice first light and sunrise, the sun went above the clouds and now we're having another uninterrupted gray Michigan winter day. I do NOT mind the cold, really; the uniformly gray skies get to me however.


In the first photo I love how the overhead lights poking through the clouds are mirrored in the water below. A closer look shows mist rising from the lake. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.






This morning arrived after another very cold night. We've been having night time temperatures at or near or below zero for several days now; I'm very glad I can feed the various species of birds that regularly use my feeders at this time of the year. They keep me and the dogs and cats amused.







There are several large viburnums in my north forest; their berries persist all winter and provide sustenance for several species of migrating birds when spring returns. I took the first shot because I thought the berries with their snow caps were interesting. Then a gold finch arrived and stayed for long enough for me to capture it on camera.






Kaffi and Koko arrived earlier for a play date with their step-brother Watson. Exhilarating! At least for the dogs! The two boys are absolutely amazing - long coats with a very dense undercoat just like their other stepbrother, Bear. More than 16 years in age difference between Bear and the newly arrived brothers Kaffi and Koko (listed alphabetically I must add). So four sibs: Bear, Watson, Kaffi, Koko. And Ullalvas Smari's genes, their father's genes, really show in all of them. (There are two additional siblings but they live in Oregon and Virginia.) I announced more than a year ago the arrival of Smari's frozen pupsickles and only one person chose to take advantage of it. I expect wonderful things from all Smari's puppies.




No comments: