Friday, August 19, 2022

Thursday, August 18, 2022

I turned on the news to check on the weather and the latest outrageous comments from some politicians. The first thing I saw was a photo of my old first apartment building on Whitmore in Palmer Park; - A3 was the unit and it's the first floor with a screened in porch and behind that there are five windows. Loved it and the neighbors. It was a short drive to Mumford High School where I taught Biology for several years.


Clicking on photos will enlarge them.



I recently heard that a good friend just passed. He was an avid gardener and an inspiration. Hostas and unusual plants were his love. Daylilies? Not so much. However, this very late flowing one was one he did like; he called it "Autumn Orange". I'm calling it "Jim Langhamar". When all the other daylilies are finishing their season, this one is just starting.




On the way home from "All Dogs Can" where Kit and I have been working on agility obstacles, I saw a large flock of birds circling overhead. I recognized turkey vultures but couldn't identify the majority. I suspect they are starting their fall migration. Guess it's time.







I prefer small orchids that will fit on my bookcase near the windows, that have a pleasant aroma, and that flower in the winter when my garden is covered with snow - BUT - this lovely little beauty likes to flower now! 




I came across this quote from Honore de Balzac: - "Laws are spiderwebs through which big flies pass and the little ones get caught." Appropriate, eh? 


Some garden shots: - 



















No comments: