Monday, July 3, 2023

Flicker Nestling(s)

 The Flickers have managed to raise at least one nestling which has been peeking out at its new world. A crow frequently flies past the nest site which the parents created last winter; the young bird wisely disappears immediately. The tree is right outside my bedroom window. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.







I appreciate my Clivias more in the winter when I literally need their beauty, their faint scent, and help to brighten my days. However, they are still nice in the summer. My Icelandic Sheepdog Tryggur, aka camera hog, by the plants this morning. I started with one small Clivia many years. Through the years a few seeds have set and I've planted them and nurtured them. Some stay here. Many have gone as presents to my friends. The seeds take several years to mature - living mammal-like attached to the parent plant and getting nutrition for the parent. Then several more years are soent growing into mature plants. They have taught (or at least tried to teach) me patience. That's hard for a struggling Type A.








No comments: