Thursday, March 11, 2021

Vinlands Tryggur and his mom Vinlands Ulfberhrta Kit. Soon he is going to be taller/bigger than she is.  The ears of his siblings, Kria and Birna, have been "up" for quite some time now. (Officially that's called "prick ears".) He's a fluffy dude with quite a bit of fur, his ears so far are still "down" - I'm hoping that his ears will come up soon. We'll wait and see!


Trygg and Kit

Vinlands Tryggur

A couple of recent morning sunrises; 

I love watching the sun rise (sic).



Finally, FINALLY the winter aconites are up and open. Little jewels that brighten my heart when they appear, harbingers of what's to come and much appreciated. They have spread nicely.






Late last summer or early fall I noticed that a pair of bluebirds had started nesting. I wondered if they would have time to finish their rearing. I just cleaned out my nest boxes to prepare for the soon expected spring arrival of tree swallows and bluebirds and found their eggs in the box they had chosen. I hope the adults survived and will be back again and start a new nest at a more appropriate time.  I wonder if the eggs had started developing before mom and dad left. I was surprised that winter's freezing temperatures hadn't cracked the eggs! (The eggs are resting on some seeds.)



A murder of crows in a nearby cottonwood tree.


A trio of bird species on  one of my feeders.


OK. So. Look at the size of those ears. If their size is any indication of Tryggur's eventually adult size, he's going to be a big boy! I'm guessing and hoping that the reason, well, one of the reasons, that his ears aren't "up" yet is their size. We're still working on housebreaking. He brings me lots of treats - dead leaves, sticks, chunks of ice, dead birds, and, gratefully, he is willing to trade them for a dog treat when I say "Release".


Vinlands Tryggur

On Monday Tryggur went to Dr. Ellen Sanford at Town and Country Vets and had his second vaccination (DHLPP CVK). I think his next vaccination will be the one year rabies in three or four weeks. One of the vet tech folks said he reminds her of her husky. Same gene pool, close relatives, both Spitz dogs, also much different size and temperaments.

Trygg

Vinlands Kria

Kria

Vinlands Birna

Birna and Miss Timber


No comments: