Thursday, October 21, 2021

 Another beautiful morning yesterday on the shores on Michigan's Lake Huron. I love it here, especially in the morning as the day begins.





I went "down" to Port Huron to my dermatologist Brian Sofen, M.D. to have more cancers removed. A large-ish basal cell carcinoma right in the middle of my forehead requiring about a dozen stitches and another on my right forearm also requiring about a dozen stitches which will be sent out for analysis. More coming soon. Covid has had many such stories about people putting off treatments for various issues/problems and just now trying to play catch-up. Meanwhile my left arm is continuing to heal from the removal of the melanoma there. The lymph nodes were clear and the margins of the tissue removed were also clear.


Kappu, ABBA, and Watson continue to grow and prosper. They were born last Wednesday so are now officially one week old today. Taking photos of my pups has always been a challenge. Having a partner to hold or position the puppies would be wonderful. Nevertheless, here are a few snaps taken this morning. Puppies move constantly! Clicking on photos will enlarge them.


ABBA 
After the Swedish pop group of course. 
Lillemor who bred Smari, ABBA's father, was Swedish.

Watson (After Mark Watson)

Kappu (After his Great Grandfather)

Kappu

Watson, ABBA, Kappu

Watson, Kappu, ABBA

Watson, Kappu, ABBA

Watson, Kappu

When I first moved here I planted a small Sassafras "tree". (Much smaller than a sapling.) David has raved about the fall colors of the Sassafras in his Rhode Island yard so I had to have one too. Every year it tried to grow but failed. Too much shade perhaps, eaten by deer or rabbits, for sure, too much competition for water and "breathing room", probably. So this year finally I gave up, literally. Then just now I noticed this green thing: - 




One of the first woodland trees I learned to identify as a boy was a Sassafras tree. Its leaves come in several shapes: - sometimes entire (with no indentations), sometimes with one indentation or two lobes making the leaf like like our state's lower peninsula, the "mitten", and sometimes with two indentations or three lobes. Looking closely at the above photos I think you can see all three permutations. I just now surrounded it with some fencing which I hope will protect it. As a kid I was told that the roots of Sassafras trees could be turned into root beer. I don't know if that's true and I don't really care. Regardless, it's a nice story for a kid learning to appreciate the outdoors, eh?

No comments: