Thursday, October 14, 2021

Icelandic Sheepdog Puppies Fall 2021

 Ullalvas Smari and Vinlands Ulfbehrta Kit are the parents of three lively new puppies, two boys and a girl. Although it's still a little early for me to tell for sure, I think the boys are both chocolate-brown and the girl will be a tan shade. (For the record: - I am honestly NOT trying to breed chocolate-brown dogs. This just happened. I was hoping to get some black & tan tricolors.) The pups' inbreeding score is 0% - very good and also quite unusual. Inbreeding scores reflect how many ancestors in a pedigree are repeated on both the sire's and dam's sides. This score (0%) means that as far back as five generations there are no repeated ancestors on both parents' sides. I'm attaching their pedigree below. These pups should all be great conformation show dogs. It really should go without saying - but I'm saying it regardless. Of course, OF COURSE, they should all be good performance dogs in obedience, rally, agility and all the newer dog sports as well. Icelandic Sheepdogs are amazingly smart and tractable dogs. Clicking on photos will enlarge them. My email follows at the end of this post.


At this age the pups resemble hamsters - in my opinion. Still, they are really cute. And lovable. So is mother Kit.






Grandmother Vinlands Totty was one of the first American Kennel Club (AKC) Grand Champion Icelandic Sheepdogs. I love that she is a large female. In my opinion, we need to slightly increase the average size of Icelandics. Although Kit is 16" tall at the shoulders, the first born boy was, like his grandmother Totty, a large puppy so I'm expecting (hoping) he will have inherited Totty's larger size (still within the standard of course) from grandma. All of the pups will have Smari, their sire, as part of their names.


Some shots of Lake Huron recently: - 






I was concerned early on that because I was using artificial insemination with frozen semen that litter size might be affected. Dr. William Schultz in Okemos, Michigan near Michigan State University did the surgical implantation at his clinic for us. Joe Schultz has been very helpful and I appreciate the extra mile he has gone to for us. Kit had three puppies in her previous live cover litter with several ties. She also had three pups in this litter. Of course I know that's anecdotal but it means something to me.


N.B. - I have heard that the AKC might one day, perhaps soon, like the CKC, decide to allow accents on dogs' names. This is Smari's accented name: - Ullälvas Smári. On his pedigree (below) for now I have used his unaccented name: - Ullalvas Smari. 


If you're interested in one of these excellent pups,  please feel free to drop me a note. Their pedigree (below - clicking on it will enlarge it) shows some great dogs from Iceland, Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, and the United States. There are photos of some of them in a recent previous post. I hope to be able to find great homes for them. Preference will be given to homes where they might be shown in conformation and/or performance events and where they might be bred. These should truly be exceptional pups. 

jaimehansen1@frontier.com









No comments: