Friday, December 2, 2022

Currant Pies!

 I made two currant pies this summer from berries picked from bushes grown from cuttings of plants from my Grandpa Harding's backyard. - and, I thought they were the first currant pies I made since moving here. Some friends told me I was wrong.  But even prodded by them, I could not remember baking that pie in the summer of 2021. Then - I found the first photo below from last summer (2021). So why did I forget about making it? I got my melanoma diagnosis at the same time and the trauma must have wiped out that memory. Guessing, of course. Clicking on photos will enlarge them. 


How did I find that photo? My local phone company told subscribers that they had to replace their old phone with a new one. I asked them to transfer my address/phone numbers if they could. I told them that I realized that all my phone photos would be lost and that was ok with me. BUT, they were also transferred - so , not even looking, I found that photo, below.


"Liking" currant pies must be an acquired taste. My brother and I love them. Cousin Kathy? Not at all. 


Currant Pie 2021

Currant pie 2022

Mondays Kit and I go to a beginning agility class near Lapeer, Michigan. The drive takes about 1:40 hours each way but I'm not doing anything else; we both love the challenge. She's doing very well, catches on extremely fast (probably the feral dog intelligence syndrome). Ah, of course, winter is coming (to coin a phrase - lol - and who knows what curve balls Michigan's winter weather will bring. One foot in front of another. One thing at a time. Kit came back home to me at about two years after she left and I'm grateful for the chance to get to know her as an adult. She's a lovely, bright, affectionate, dog.

Some recent sunrises.

From now on not all sunrises are going to be something to write about with lots of color, still, they are often unique and I look forward to them. Living on Lake Huron is amazing. The view is always different.




Yes, the sky is that color (below). I don't know how to photo shop and I don't want to learn. I take things as I see them. Looking closely at the first photo below you can probably find the ship on the horizon. 

Tuesdays ABBA and I go to Puppy Class at All Dogs Can. Initially she was frightened of  new people but with some help from my human friends at the dog training school, she now greets new people enthusiastically. They have been encouraged by me to greet ABBA, offer her treats, and to pet her. The change in her attitude is wonderful. I realize from past experience that it may take as long as a full year for her to come to grips with the fact that because she is actually an Icelandic Sheepdog, she is supposed to be outgoing, friendly, and curious. I know she'll get there.


Wednesdays is Rally day at the training building in Lapeer. The dogs take turns going on Rally day. Kit goes sometimes, Watson and Tryggur go (separately) other times.  They are all doing very well in class. I'm happy with their progress. Although I've often said that my days of competing are over, that I really just like training, of being with my friends, my furry friends, I've recently decided to keep my options open. One step at a time. Keep doing what I like, what we like.
 

We had some very nice weather before Thanksgiving and I got a lot of chances to do some yard work - yes, in November. In Michigan. So some normally spring chores, were done in the fall. The nice thing about my life now, is that if I don't get something done sooner, it will always be there for later and that's really, really nice.


For many years I've been having similar dreams which have focused on "loss". Daily, I miss my partner of 42 years and now I realize that those dreams are about that loss, that missing part of my life. Some people are lucky to have family and friends to help deal with loss, Recently Rob Delaney was on TV talking about his very young son's death from cancer. He and his wife dealt with the very serious symptoms, treatments, and his death. It was eye opening. There are no words, no words, that can help people deal with loss. The support, the presence, the help that family and friends gave them helped.

No comments: