Sunday, June 12, 2011

Farmers' Market today






I could not resist the wooden folding chairs with brass fittings and leather seats. They look like they might have been from the 1920's or 1930's. Does anyone know anything about them? They are too handsome to sit on; I was thinking of hanging them on the walls - if I could find room. I bought them from a very distinguished looking man named Evan Blackhawk from Novi, Michigan who specializes in rare desirable books and paper. I'll think of him every time I look at his chairs.




I think the phone looks like one that my Grandparents Niels Marius Antoni and Maren Elisabeth Hansen had in their dining room on a secretary desk when I was growing up. The phone works but you have to dial, of course, and there is no redial, memory, screen, caller I.D., et cetera. I know I date myself when I receive a wrong number and I say to the caller, "You must have dialed the wrong number." Virtually no one "dials" any more. "Vieux Pet", as the French say!





I also found a wonderful house-warming present, sixteen champagne flutes with green stems and a rose ball allegedly from Hungary, but I think I had better use them myself instead because I might not be around when their house and/or my cottage is finished. The seller, of course, said that they had never been used. I will use them. Jackie O. always had a few bottles of champagne chilling. I always have one in the fridge just in case - - - - - . You never know. (My current one is only half-full. The rest must have evaporated - perhaps while I was reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett last night. One never knows, do one?)



I can go months without finding anything I like at the Sunday market and then, bam, I see some great stuff. There was a wonderful Eames chair for $350 in great condition. It would make the third of a threesome, T & J.



(Click on photos once or twice to enlarge them.)

No comments: