Saturday, July 14, 2012

Training

Isla, the Icelandic Sheepdog, has a new call name: - Miss Timber - Her name comes from where she and her family live: - She is Queen of Timber Trails in the Poconos. She and her family spend quality time hiking in the Poconos. 

Timber's a tricolor Icelandic Sheepdog which means she is black and white and tan - I don't see much tan except on her cheeks; most likely that's because the white stockings go quite a ways up her legs where much of the tan would normally be. Normally tricolor dogs have the tan on their legs, as eyebrows, even sometimes as cheek patches or on the tail. The tan on the bodies of tricolor Icelandics can be any shade from very light cream through tan, yellow, gold, red, deep red.

Check out Wodin's tan stockings in a recent previous post. His right front leg has white stockings which hide the tan. The left front leg lacks the white so you can see some tan with the black. 


Timber's first boat ride. She looks like she's about to jump in!

Someone asked me to write about more advanced training. 


The more you train your dog, the easier it is for your dog and for you to learn new things. They learn the pattern and are more receptive to new tasks. There are many, many people out there who are experts at training. I'm a novice.  I love my dogs and we train together. We qualify at events but we are not in the top rank where the experts are.


I'm pretty good at elementary training but for the more advanced stuff, you really need experts. I don't mind answering questions people ask me - honest. And I will try to give a reasonable and understandable responses BUT, I know my limits. I also have some friends who are experts and I can ask them the questions I cannot answer. 

REMEMBER: - responses are only advice and suggestions. You have to, you must, find out what works for you and your dog. Even though most of our dogs are Icelandics, they are still all different. They have various temperaments and learning styles; what works for one team (handler and dog) does not necessarily work for another team.


If you have questions anytime about anything, please ask. Remember - the only stupid question is the unasked one!

Vinlands Soffia also has a relatively new call name: - Arya Grace. She is fitting in nicely with her family and has already been on a camping trip with more in the near future I believe. I've been promised photos soon.

No comments: