Friday, June 7, 2013

Yellow Lady's Slipper - Cypripedium calceolus

As I was getting ready to leave SanS this morning, I walked into the pine forest west of the pole barn and found individual flowers and several clumps of the orchid Cypripedium calceolus, yellow lady's slipper.

I had been working in that area cutting down Russian Olives and thinning dogwoods and swamp willows earlier this week and noticed the stalks of several plants which I thought looked like they might be orchids. I'm so glad I took a short walk this morning before we left! It was drizzling and the grass was wet but I managed to take a few shots of some of them. The pine forest is quite wet early in the spring and that probably is what encourages them as they like their roots 'wettish". They are found in common in bogs and wet forests, which describes my land.

I'm awestruck!
                                                Clicking on photos enlarges them!

No comments: