Sunday, July 15, 2018

Rain - Helas, lI ne pleuvait pas sans cesse ici.

We are way behind in rainfall and I've resorted to watering - a lot - on the barren ground left after Gentner worked on the bluff. Most of the grass seed fried in the sun  but at least the hardy weed seeds seem to have germinated and grown. I'm hoping they can hold the soil even though their roots have not yet penetrated deep - - that's if we ever get rain again. Not to water would be a catastrophe. Watering will be expensive but must be done, eh?

The Huron to Mackinaw sailboat race was supposed to be this weekend. I think Saturday was cancelled due to lack of wind (and maybe dense fog). Today was much the same and I don't know if it was a go or not. See the fog in the first shot below. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.


Recently we were in Bad Axe and saw a sign shop so had two signs made for the buildings here. In college French I read Candide and fell in love with Voltaire. He might approve. We picked up the signs later Jon and Tracy hung the signs last weekend.





Speaking of Sans Souci, this bluebird taps gently on the windows, Disney-like, waking up the Parlangelis. I love this bird!! Normally they wake up and are ready for the day around noon-ish. Sigh.



Cedar Waxwing

One of the very first wildflowers I identified was Deptford Pink (Dianthus armeria) and I've loved it ever since. Obviously a member of the carnation family (Dianthus), it jhas self-sown into a nice patch. Although the plants are leggy and grass-like, I still love the tiny flowers.



Finally my pale cream hollyhocks are volunteered in a perfect spot. Now if they can be convinced to stay there instead of volunteering and roaming around the yard. Dating myself, my mother hated hollyhocks because they were ubiquitous around the outhouses of her childhood in Ypsilanti. I have no prejudice against them. These breed true which I actually like.



 Christine sent me these poppy seeds last winter. Planted all over the yard, they did the best in this spot. Great annual plants! Thank you Christine.





Clematis

Astilbe & Hosta

Summertime!


No comments: