Friday, September 27, 2019

Friday, September 27, 2019

My Icelandic Sheepdog Kit and I have been taking classes and we are both doing very, very well. Although we are still in the process of recovering from recent negative events, we are looking forward, not backward.

A recent sunrise with red sky and ship. 
Clicking on photos will enlarge them.

Even when the Icelandic Sheepdog girls can't follow me, they follow me. Is it love or is the herding instinct that strong. Three generations here - Totty, Kria, Kit.


The fall garden is in full bloom, the tourists have mostly left, the beach seems to be reappearing as we expected.

Dahlias

Dahlias, Phlox

Dahlia, Langhammar's Autumn Orange Daylily

Jim Langhammar's Autumn Orange Daylily

Dahlias, Eupatorium coelestinum

Hardy Ageratum (Eupatorium coelestinum)

Among the many varieties of Colchicums there are at least six in my garden. They start flowering in mid-September and slowly the different kinds come into bloom the flowers lasting until mid to late November. Of course I am fond of the winter hardy mums which are hard to find; the more tender mums are available everywhere at this tine of the year but they usually fail to survive winters here. However, I love the Colchicums because the unexpected arrival of the flowers long after their spring and early summer leaves have disappeared always are a pleasant surprise. I sometimes describe them as winter hardy Amaryllis - even though they are not related to them. Everyone knows that Amaryllis leaves produce the energy necessary to produce their huge flowers weeks or even months after the leaves have disappeared.

The photos below show three earlier flowering kinds of Colchicums. 

Colchicum autumnale album

Colchicum autumnale album

Colchicum

Colchicum

Colchicum

Colchicum

Colchicum

Colchicum

Colchicum

Colchicum

Colchicum

Colchicum

Because of the cyclic rising and falling water levels of Lake Huron, my beach had disappeared for two years. The water level has been up to the vegetation. Now it's receding once again and the beach is slowly reappearing. Fossils, including many Petosky Stones, will begin to reappear after storms. I had to abandon my beach well which carried water from the well all the way up the bluff to my pole barn (aka Sans Souci) and instead connect the city water I get in my house to the pole barn. There's always someting unexpected happening, eh?



No comments: