Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Hump Day

It's that time of the year in Michigan - the annual Port Huron to Mackinac race . . . normally the sailboats slip past my front yard on the way from Port Huron south of me to Mackinac north of me. I'm not sure if the race is off this year because of our badly managed Covid 19 crisis. Often before the race begins sailors practice. Clicking on photos will enlarge them


I visited the Port Austin Farmers' Market last weekend; I miss the large Royal Oak Farmer's market more than I can say. There are few farmers here and few sellers of plants; there are large numbers of vendors selling other things though.





Behind the sunflowers in the photo below there is a basket seller. I bought one for a friend a while ago to hold lotions, unguents, sprays, toiletries, perfumes, etc. Sometimes you think you've found the perfect gift for someone.



The oceans are nice, really nice.
Fresh water is nice too. 

Although my sunrises are spectacular as you may know, I don't get to see really nice sunsets here; the view is blocked by my west forest. Sometimes the sky is lit up a bit and when I'm washing up after dinner I do see some nice after effects. I don't photo shop my shots; I like to revisit them the way they looked when I actually saw them.


Pila is still expecting her former owners to come back to rescue her from me. I'm not sure why they didn't like her; I love the little bug. When she gives me "the look", my heart melts.



Hummers have been visiting my feeders for years now and I just noticed that the females often engorge themselves on nectar. My guess, my semi-scientific guess, is that when they have nestlings to feed, they consume larger quantities of nectar to take back to their kids. If you look closely at these photos you may be able to see the enlarged crop which is in the lower head or the upper neck region.





No comments: