Monday, August 23, 2021

Garden Shots

 So, much of my adult life I've heard of "Cornelian Cherries", Corna mas. There's a huge one that has yellow flowers every spring near a lovely witch hazel in Royal Oak's Oakview Cemetery. Sadly for me, it sadly and inexplicably took me a long time to realize that Cornelian Cherries are a member of the dogwood family. Duh!~ When I moved here I planted three different horticultural varieties of the species. Although they are just now coming into their own and have all flowered for me here, they are not spectacular - yet. But they're coming along nicely.


I haven't been wandering in my garden much this summer; I've not been feeling well. I took a short tour this evening and found these fruits on two of the three. Yes, indeed, they do resemble cherries, don't they. They are quite unlike the seeds of other dogwoods. I don't know if they're edible, but they certainly look tempting.

Cornus mas - Cornelian Cherry










I have many different daylilies scattered around the yard and this year the dogs managed to keep the deer and rabbits away. My favorite one is the above plant that breeds true and I've scattered in several spots. It came from Jim Langhammer many years ago. He was a special gardening friend and I miss him lots. We spoke the same dialect. He called it Autumn Orange - like the moon above, perhaps. So I do too. He had no idea where he got his (he didn't like daylilies - called them ditch lilies) but it was the only one he allowed in his wonderful, interesting yard.


No comments: