Thursday, January 5, 2012

Karl Pillmer



I was listening to the gerontologist Dr. Karl Pillmer, who is an expert on our aging population, with one ear while typing and answering emails. He was on the Nightly News on PBS and said that 75% of our older American will be gone in 10 years taking with them their expertise and knowledge.




With apologies to Dr. Pillmer - these are some summaries of what I think I heard. I may have missed stuff.

They ( read we each time I write that) are experts at living through hard times.

They say that we have to be responsible for our own happiness. Happiness is a choice, not a condition.

They believe youngsters are happy because of "things" they have, not because of choices made.

They are not worried about taking risks, contrary to popular thought.

Life is very short. It seems to pass in a nanosecond. Use your little time wisely.

The older we are, the less panicky we are about dying. They are concerned about planning for the end.

They are extraordinarily resilient.

They are happier than young people.

He just published another book entitled, I believe "30 Lessons for Living".

No comments: