Saturday, September 9, 2017

Ferns - Bryophyta - Saturday, September 9, 2017

I've noticed that my "more experienced" Icelandic Sheepdogs may start out with me on my frequent garden walks but soon, from the comfort of the north porch, they are watching me and the younger dogs as we wander. I believe they've learned from much experience that my "walks" frequently (nearly always) turn into transplanting, pruning, weeding, thinning, daydreaming experiences instead of just walking. Clicking on photos enlarges them.

Kata, Korpur, Bear, Kria
(Totty and Pila are returning to the porch)

 The garden is starting to wind down as plants are getting ready for winter sleeps. They did really good this summer so next year should be fantastic. Hope springs eternal, ain't it?

I bought a forsythia when I was a teenager back before there were so many different kinds of the yellow flowering spring shrub. Now there are better varieties but this one has traveled with me for all my adult life. I root cuttings before I change dwellings and take them with me; there are three small ones in my garden now. This one is the largest and its leaves have turned a dusty-burgundy - first time ever.

Forsythia
 One of my recent goals was to identify several kinds of ferns I have growing around the yard; that's not been easy for me. To start with they all looked alike to me. Now I think, I THINK, I can recognize a few.

Goldie's Fern
Dryopteris goldiana

Goldie's Fern
Dryopteris goldiana

Sensitive Fern
Onoclea sensibilis

Hayscented Fern?
Dennstaedtia punctiloba?

Lady Fern?
Athyrium filix-femina?

Lady Fern?
Athyrium filix-femina?

Lady Fern
Athyrium filix-femina

Lady Fern
Athyrium filix-femina

Christmas Fern
Polystichum acrostichoides

Christmas Fern
Polystichum acrostichoides

Dryopteris "Brilliance"

Ghost Fern
Athyrium nipponicum x Athyrium filix-femina

Japanese Painted Fern
Athyrium nipponicum

Japanese Painted Fern
Athyrium nipponicum

Japanese Painted Fern
Athyrium nipponicum

Ostrich Fern?
Matteuccia struthiopteris?

Ostrich Fern?
Matteuccia struthiopteris?

Ostrich Fern
Matteuccia struthiopteris

It will take me some time to get their names right. A wise professor I had told us not to worry about pronunciation just try to pronounce them to the best of your ability. Other scientists will know what you mean and communicating is the true goal, after all. Brunnera - Tina!!

"If you have remarked errors in me, your superior wisdom must pardon them. Who errs not while perambulating the domain of nature? Who can observe everything with accuracy? Correct me as a friend, and I as a friend will requite with kindness." - Linnaeus

From my reading I've learned that a few of the ferns above can spread - vigorously spread. Can be invasive. Wouldn't that be fun! I transplanted three Canada anemones last summer and they spread vigorously and now I might have a hard time getting rid of them. Ha!

No comments: