Thursday, December 7, 2017

Lake Affect Flurries - Thursday, December 7, 2017

My lovely fifteen year old Icelandic Sheepdog Kata today at noon. She prefers going outside alone - the youngsters are so rambunctious! I think she looks pretty good; her sixteenth birthday happens this coming January. Clicking on photos enlarges them.


Early mornings I often see lake affect clouds of evaporated lake water developing over Lake Huron; at this time of year those clouds often dump lake affect snow on Canada which is right across the lake from me. Lake affect snow also develops along the west shore of Lake Michigan all the way across the sate but it rarely reaches me here.


For a couple of weeks I've been working in West Wood trimming dead branches off the evergreens and cutting down dead trees. Walking back from my "play" I travel down my road to my house; this is my view. Lake Huron is at the far end. Today there were white caps on the lake.







These were lake affect clouds this afternoon. Those clouds develop this time of year because the water is warmer than the air which causes evaporation of the water. Note the freighter in both shots



Over the years I have written some articles and filed them away thinking that one day I might use them as chapters for a second book on my beloved Icelandic Sheepdogs. I've been talking with the publishing company that worked with me on my first book. I'm crossing my fingers that things will work out and my second book on Icelandic Sheepdogs might happen and might be published sometime this coming winter. For the first book Christine Vowles and I used lots of photos contributors provided as illustrations for the chapters. If this all works out, and I realize that's a big IF, this time I will try and use mostly photos of my own dogs thereby avoiding the need to get permission from photographers and owners.

No comments: