Friday, September 7, 2018

Friday, September 7, 2018

I think, maybe, the hummers are starting to leave for warmer climes. I haven't seen any adults for several days now. Adults can be distinguished from their young by their coloring; adult males have the distinguishing red spot on their throat/chest and female adults have shinier green back feathers than recently fledged young. This looks like a juvenile to me. I'm sad to see them go because that means summer's on the wane, but happy to see them start off on their great adventure. Maybe an early start makes it possible for them to avoid the coming storms. I won't stop feeding but I hope they don't stay so long that the migration will be difficult. Clicking on photos enlarges them.



Monarda are still flowering and making nectar. I know they're still working because the hummers and the bumble bees are still visiting them.



Where to plant these acorns? I know deer may browse on the emerging seedling oaks so perhaps in the middle of an autumn olive, or in a rock pile, or at the base of another tree? These were harvested from near Port Austin and Caseville near the tip of Michigan's thumb. The soil is much sandier there; here it's heavy clay. So regardless of where I plant the acorns, the oak trees may not do well here. (There is only one oak tree on my ten acres and it's near the edge of my evergreen forest.)


I wait a long time for my obedient plant (Physostegia) to flower but it's worth it in my opinion.



Rudbeckia cascading over my west fence.


Eupatorium coelestinum
Filled with butterflies
I couldn't decide which photo I liked best, so here they all are.





Monarchs are still on the way south.



Hydrangea

Hydrangea

The promise for better weather


Sweet Autumn Clematis

Sweet Autumn Clematis

Sweet Autumn Clematis

After a storm the dark sky traveled east, the sun appeared and shined on Lake Huron making for a neat contrast, eh?

Even the turkey vultures are starting their southward migration. 
This one took a break on my "Starry Night" rock.


Volunteer Nasturtiums


I see sunrises out my east windows and sunsets out my east windows.
This one was really cool.




No comments: