Sunday, April 7, 2019

April 3, 2019

I finally have had the right weather and some time to do some gardening and woods-work. Working in the west-woods is an amazingly calming experience. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.







I started with several of these spring flowering iris bulbs. Each has divided several times over the years; I think they like it here.




Snowdrops usually arrive earlier. This year the early flowering bulbs and the later flowering ones seemed to open at the same time. Climate change.


The intense shocking pink color of these Bulbocodium vernum doesn't show up in photos. Well, in my photos anyway. Still, and even so, I love the bright splash they make in the garden. They are also doing well and multiplying.


Iris reticulata

I had a hard time identifying the bird in the foreground. Now I think it's either a juvenile red-wing blackbird or a female. Regardless, it's gorgeous.

Behind it is a male cowbird: note the brown head. Cowbirds are parasites on the nests of other birds which means that the adult female cowbird tosses out the existing eggs and lays one of her own or simply just lays her egg into an existing nest for the foster parents to raise. Often the baby cowbirds will push the other nestlings out of the nest.






I can't get enough of winter aconites. All these flowers came from seeds I brought up here when I first bought the property. I cast the seeds randomly around the yard. I did the same thing with Daphne seeds which also did very well. Daphne are small bushy plants with late spring flowers.







No comments: