Friday, April 26, 2019

Still making mistakes -

Am I too trusting for my own good? I have the hardest time living up to my favorite Maya Angelou quote: - “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” – Maya Angelou. I give people too many chances and I'm often sorry that I do.

I'm a morning person, a first light person, a sunrise person. However. A sunset recently.



Two species of dogwoods. The ubiquitous red-twigged dogwood on the left; in the center the one with yellow spring flowers is Cornus mas - maybe not as easily identifiable as Forsythia but earlier and perhaps, thus more appreciated at least by me. Yes, spring comes late in Michigan's Thumb. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.



Two years ago I bought a several very early spring blooming Hellebores of different kinds and planted them around the yard. I think they all have survived. I selected many different colors and bloom patterns, However, it looks like they all turned out the same. Not that that's bad.



I have been doing loads of chores around here and am often amazed at how much I do. For me, winter is a down time, obviously; a time to make lists of things to do when it turns nicer. Spring and fall are my favorite times because the weather is cool enough to work outside; the sun isn't as strong as it is in the summer so I don't have to be as concerned about skin cancer; and it's not as hot. It seems hard for me to just sit. If I do find myself between outdoor tasks because of the weather like when it rains, it seems that I cannot just sit still. I have to be doing something - reading, I love to read, but I can't stay at it. My mind wanders and then I have to be up and doing something. Regardless of whether it was the way I was raised or something genetic, it's OK. As Popeye said, "I am what I am."


The fish must be running. David would know which kind(s). Me? I just like to watch.


Carol just called and we had a nice chat. She lives in Tennessee now and is almost always upbeat. In that respect she is very much her father's daughter. Uncle Roy was an up and happy guy. In fact so was Aunt Margaret, Aunt Liz, and my own Dad. Was it genetic - or perhaps the influence of Grandma. Regardless, a happy family.

No comments: