Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Wilderness Arboretum in Huron County, Michigan

This morning in Huron County, Michigan along the way to Port Austin and Caseville I found another wonderful barn-quilt along Lakeshore Drive. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.


My goal today was to find the Wilderness Arboretum near the tip of Michigan's Thumb by the shores of Lake Huron. There were no other humans nearby, so I felt like I had the whole nature center to myself.





The paths were well marked yet still in harmony with nature. Areas that were wet or swampy had elevated walkways. This preserve is obviously very well cared for.









I found several clumps of various species of mosses, club mosses, and liverworts that reminded me of coral reefs in warmer climes. Wintergreens are everywhere!






Ferns are just beginning to unfurl their fronds. Even though the tip of the thumb is about an hour further north from me, their spring is ahead of spring here. Our ferns are still slumbering, the trees have yet to open their leaves, and flowers are days if not weeks away.. Many early flowering trees "up north" have their flowers open and ours are not even budded.






Yes, this place is heartwarming. 

No comments: