Monday, May 20, 2019

Blustery Day

Last evening a tornado warning was issued for not far from me. That brought fierce winds and rain squalls here - I love heavy weather. I had spent much of the day weeding and tidying up the front gardens. I realize that after I'm gone they will quickly revert to grasses and that's fine. The only constant is - change - after all.

Just before the rain and wind started the birds went crazy flying around helter skelter. Even while it was raining, the hummers were feeding as if there would be no tomorrow. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.

Can you see the dogs in the upper right hand corner below? I think they've found a returning garter snake that will soon participate in the annual snake frenzy. They observe and smell but so far leave them alone.

Primula - Cowslip

I've had many cultivated hybrid primroses but none were more appreciated than this wild (species) primrose. It's hardier and sometimes self sows fulfilling one of my few plant requirements: easy of nurture, hardy, returns each spring, self seeds easily, lovely smell, heirloom plant bringing with it memories of a loved person in my life.

Primula veris

Grape Hyacinths - pruned by rabbits

Purple Vinca minor

Pulmonaria

White Throated Sparrow

Zonotrichia albicolis

 We used to travel to Point Pelee in extreme southern Ontario, Canada in the spring to enjoy the flocks of returning migratory birds as they reached that point of land projecting into Lake Erie. Thousands of birds met hundreds of birders. (Do the Brits call them "twitchers"?) Now I just have to look out my windows as the migrating birds come to me here in Michigan's Thumb.


Lily of the Valley

Convallaria majalis

 I fully realize that one is not supposed to encourage Lily of the Valley in the garden because it is not native and can be invasive - as these photos show. But on plus side deer and rabbits do NOT eat them and they do seem to be able to out compete other plants and so present a nice green carpet which smells lovely for a week or so every spring. I hacked away the grapevines and removed the dead tree branches from this area in my back yard and have encouraged this patch of pips. I've wondered how it started. Did someone plant the first plants or was a wayward seed delivered to this spot by some bird? Regardless, they please me.


Peonies, iris, lilacs all delight me in turn when they flower. Years ago a lady in Palmer Woods invited me into her garden and gave me several pips of the rare striped lily of the valley. My friends Basi and Andy had tried for years to get some pips from her and she refused. Basil was unhappy she gave me some. They increased in number but sadly I left them in Royal Oak when I moved. Jon promised me he would go back and ask the new owners of 810 for a few plants but that never happened. over the years I have ordered them from several plant companies but they have never arrived alive. They are expensive. Very expensive. This year I ordered some from Klehm Song Sparrow which has reliably delivered many plants to me before.  Here's hoping.

Daffodils - fully a month behind this year




Baltimore Oriole Female

Icterus galbula - Male Baltimore Oriole


Although they do eat fruit more than 80% of their diet is insects, especially injurious ones in fruit orchards. Nests are strong and usually built at the ends of drooping branches. I had a pair stick around last year ans they or their progeny seem to be back again this year. David convinced me, easily I add, to feed them again.


No comments: