Thursday, October 11, 2012

Have I made a mistake using the same architect who designed the room I added onto my house to design a new home for me also on my new property in Michigan's "thumb"? I love what he did for me so it seemed like the perfect choice.

Maybe B. has had more important jobs to do and I have ended up at the bottom of his list. (I don't know if that's true because he hasn't told me but that's what I suspect.)

I get it. His projects, homes, cottages and businesses, are amazing, absolutely amazing, and this is only a very, very small job. Frankly I was surprised and pleased that he agreed to do this for me. Other clients may have put pressure on him and I have not. Have I been too easy - too understanding - too compliant - too passive? My Dad always used to say that the squeaky wheel gets the oil.  Have I not been squeaky? Maybe that's fuzzy thinking but I cannot imagine 'why' nothing has happened vis a vis the house.

I have told B. and D. from the beginning that as long as they keep me in the loop, as long as they tell me what is happening or not happening and "why", I would be, will be understanding. I thought I had been clear - very clear. If there have been delays because other more important projects are in the works, I would have been OK as long as they communicated that to me. They have not. I expected to be treated better.

I know, I know - - that's what we've all come to expect from architects and builders and I should have known better. I really should not have expected more from them. I thought they were different. I believed they were different. I trusted them.

Last winter they told me that if they started in April, then the building could be done in October. I have tired of laughing off my friends' and relatives' inquiries about the progress being made on my house - there has been no progress. In order for there to be progress, something has to have happened. Nothing has. I feel like a chump.

B. was late with the plans the bank needed in order to approve the mortgage. They were due at the beginning or middle of May, if I recall correctly. They were not done by the end of May. Nor the end of June. July. August. September. (That may have turned out OK - the bank was also not cooperative and I made other arrangements, which I was told would make things easier for B. and D and less expensive for me.)

This summer in early July I was told that building on the house could start in August after the pole barn was finished. Then September. It's October and the pole barn is not finished. I've been up there almost weekly including the last three weeks in a row and nothing has changed. The entire pole barn re-working project was supposed to take four to six weeks - - the time estimate was because the doorwall would take that long to come in - I was told. Well, the doorwall took less time than six weeks to come in and has been in for more than a month and a half. More recently the delay has been because the connector to the existing septic tank and field was not going to happen and a new septic tank was going to be included instead. I'm guessing that is the reason for the delay now - but I don't know because - - - -.

I does look very nice, as you can see. But it's not done. Emails to D. are not answered. I wondered about the streaks on the floor. I wondered if the water was safe to drink. Technical problems with the computer, I've been told. Today my phone call went right to voice mail - have I been hostile? I don't think so but I'm trying to figure out what I've done wrong or not done right.

                                                  Clicking on photos enlarges them.
                    To return to the blog, click on the X in the upper right hand corner.

 

At one time I had hoped I would be in my house by Thanksgiving. Then Christmas. 

Should I go with a modular home or a double-wide so that I can actually be up there by next spring? I don't know.  This is when I miss Mom and Dad and David the most.

And yet - - - - am I sorry I started this? No. 

If it, the house, gets done, IF it gets done while I'm still here, I believe it will be amazing. What really concerns me though is - will this lack of progress and failure to communicate effectively continue.

No comments: