Friday, October 12, 2012

Homeless Icelandic Sheepdogs

These two purebred registered Icelandic Sheepdogs are about to be homeless. I hate to think of them ending up in a shelter because of the failure of the family.

They are NOT from my kennel. 

I think they live on the west coast of the United States, perhaps in southern California, but I could be wrong.

The current owners are abandoning them. I suspect they will be free to a good home, singly or together. I would make the argument that they should be separated so that they can bond with their new family instead of relying on one another.

                         (Clicking on Kara and Henry's photos will enlarge them.)
The lighter colored one (above) is a female named Kara born in August, 2010 so she is just over two years old. You could of course re-name her.
The slightly darker one (above) is a male named Henrick or Henry, and was born in September, 2011 so he is just over a year old. You could also re-name him. That's often a good idea - - to start over and set new rules. They rather quickly learn their new names and live up to the new expectations.

I do not know the particulars of their sad story. I suspect they were not trained. They apparently are not aggressive, just free-willed uncontrolled dogs in need of love and attention.

All sheepdogs, including Icelandic Sheepdogs, are very smart and need a job to do. They cannot be left to their own devices. I was told the family got the male in order to have a playmate for their older female. That is not a good idea, in my opinion.

Your dog should be your playmate. It should bond with you.

I said I would mention them on my blog. 

I will keep my fingers crossed. If you contact me: 

jaimehansen1@comcast.net

  - I will put you in contact with someone who may be able to help you. 

I do not want to be involved in this saga because it saddens me but I would rather see them placed in a new loving home than euthanized.

I would think you could pick them up if you live close to them or, if you live further, I should think that you could have them as long as you arrange the shipping if necessary - - - but I really do not know.

No comments: