Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Favorite Insect?

Yes, indeed. I have several favorite insects; the hummingbird moth is one of them. Although they are moths, they are out in the daytime and some mistake them for hummingbirds. I was enjoying the thin-leaved cattail when I noticed a hummingbird (I thought at first) hovering around the flowers of the butterfly bush. My butterfly bushes don't live longer than two or three years, probably because of our cold winters, but they do produce volunteer plants from seeds. When I got closer I saw this moth hovering and drinking nectar. I caught the wings stilled. Clicking on photos enlarges them.






The kids, slowed by recent oppressive heat and humidity allowed me to photograph their faces.

Kata (Kersins Kata)

Korpur (Alaskastadirs Korpur)

Kria (Thordunu Kria)

Bear (Bersi av Isheim)

Totty (Vinlands Totty)

Pila (Vinlands Piaf)






No comments: