Monday, June 8, 2020

Monday, June 8, 2020

I rarely photograph sunsets. My forest hides most of them. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.



Even though it's a side of the road wildflower, I love Dame's Rocket, Herperis matronalis (as cousin Carlo reminded me). The color is great and the smell is lilac-like. Although it superficially resembles garden phlox, with four petals (count them) instead of phlox's five, and a long narrow seed pod like other mustards, it is instead a member of the mustard family. They come in white, pink, and purple. I like purple and pink. I hope I always have some in the garden.

Dame's Rocket

Dame's Rocket

Dame's Rocket

Dame's Rocket


I have several Spiraea - this one by my house is starting to develop into the large irregular shape I love on these old fashioned favorites.

Heirloom Iris

Heirloom Iris

Bachelors' Button - (Centaurea montana)

Cherry Chives (for the color not the taste)

Cherry Chives


Dad is patiently waiting on his house-roost for their eggs to hatch. Surprisingly, for me, two of my tree swallow/bluebird houses actually have a bluebird family. Usually it's 100% tree swallows. A long and cool spring may have tipped the scales a bit. maybe?


Kit's dog school has contacted me; classes are set to resume tomorrow. I don't think we'll go. I'm concerned about the return of the virus after the mostly peaceful protests. (I'm old and health-challenged.) I wish I knew what the right thing, the smart thing to do is. It's definitely hard to make huge consequential decisions like this alone.

No comments: