Sunday, June 28, 2020

Waleed Elharith Johnson

Some of you know that I've been trying for more than two years to find a builder to remodel my garage and turn it into a spare bedroom. My current home has one bedroom. I've been asking overnight guests to stay in my pole barn. While it's with baseboard heat throughout, a bathroom with , hot water shower, a very nice kitchenette with a full sized fridge, microwave, and hot plate, I've thought it might be nice to have a home with two bedrooms. I've failed. Miserably failed. The plans for the renovation are done. The loan has been approved. However, I cannot find a contractor/builder who will follow through. So I think it's time to give up.

Fortunately for me I've been saving and now have funds with which I can once again buy art. Recently I found a Detroit artist whose works are inspiring. This piece entitled "Authentic" the subject is named Ariel and is the first of what I hope will be more pieces done by Waleed. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.




I wanted to bake myself a pie this weekend but found that I was out of pie plates. Remembering that the city of Port Austin had a weekly farmers' market I drove there and bought a fantastic caramel and walnut topped apple pie baked by "Grandma". There are not really many real farmers there and a lot of what I see is less than wonderful but it was great to get out and see people most of whom had masks on which is a nice change.



Rosa rugosa

Rosa rugosa

Rosa rugosa

The poppies are of course an annual, an annual that self-seeds - that's my kind of annual. The white flowers are a species of penstemon (Penstemon digitalis I think). They make a great combination, so great that I wish I had thought of it but no, it's lucky happenstance. The penstemon is going to need some thinning this fall or next spring I think. They really like clay which I have in abundance.






I don't remember where many years ago I found and harvested some seeds of this yellow iris, Iris pseudoacorus, which, although it grows here in Michigan as a "wild flower", is actually a long time escapee from Europe. Nevertheless, I now have several clumps scattered around in soil that is a little more moist and they seem to be doing very well.





I've always, mistakenly, identified this plant as a garden heliotrope. It only superficially resembles what most people call garden heliotropes and I thought they were wrong. Instead it is valerian or sweet valerian, Valeriana officinalis. I have a belle-niece named Valeria; I wonder if they share that name? It is indeed a wild flower and it has a very strong pleasant smell that permeates my garden and, luckily, it self-sows. The odor reminds me of old fashioned barber shops - I don't know why. Perhaps the hair tonics they used.



I have planted a variety of narcissi in my 'lawn'. That requires that I not mow the lawn until the leaf stalks of the daffs turn yellow/brown after they have made enough food and stored it in their bulbs ready for next spring. Thus my grass grows impressively tall. Which the grass seed eating goldfinches love. (He uses any excuse NOT to mow, say the dogs.) In another few days the daffs' leaves will finally have died back.



No comments: