Thursday, June 18, 2020

Summer Solstice Soon

The irises have never been lovelier. Today they are at their peak here - soon the flowers will be gone for another year. The soil was terrible here when I first started gardening - clay and more clay. (Many years ago there used to be a clay pot and drainage tile industry not far from me.) I had many truckloads of wood chips added on top of my clay; now they are mixed into the top layers of soil and the plants are finally prospering. This spring I added many wheelbarrows full of wood chips and spread them around my plants. Backbreaking work but I can relax a bit now - maybe - and enjoy them. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.


The nights here are still quite cool. Which I love of course. Life always brings challenges, hurdles to overcome. Flat tire on the lawnmower, broken garage door, electric SNAFUs, dogs with health issues, Covid 19, race relations, the guy in the White House, stubbed toe, deer and rabbits eating almost everything, bluff erosion, contractor issues, arthritis, neighbors not getting along with each other, et cetera. I understand why some older folks want to move to assisted living facilities . . .  as if that would solve everything or even anything. One day at a time - as they say, eh?



Dame's Rocket

Kit and a huge rhubarb plant


first lily pad flower of the summer

first peony

ahem - this is supposed to be for hummingbirds!

I think he's actually after the ants trapped inside.

Jon and Tracy surprised me last weekend.

"Tons of fun!" - Tracy



Rhododendron


I planted several very small twiggy rhodos around the north garden when I first moved here. They've really struggled in the clay but this year maybe they have finally established themselves.



Mirror smooth Lake Huron recently.

The quiet water rarely happens.

Christine sent me some photos of "D" 2003

Huld same year - Halcyon times

No comments: