Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Pukka's Promise - Ted Kerasote

Annette and Fred who own (or are owned by) Loa recently sent me a copy of Pukka's Promise written by Ted Kerasote. Fred and Annette are "of a certain age" as am I. I love dogs, especially my Icelandic Sheepdogs. They also love dogs, especially the larger more active ones, and for many years they have been involved in dog sports. They recently adopted Loa because she is a medium sized dog and, therefore, they thought, would be easier to handle. Perhaps. 

Loa is a typical Icelandic Sheepdog, extremely smart, loving and a delightful handful. Icelandics, I believe, are spectacular dogs for people who are involved in dog sports because they love to work, love to please, are extremely smart, and therefore, learn very fast. They also love being with people and, when properly socialized with humans and other canines, are very showy dogs, pleasing to look at and to watch work in the performance ring.

Because I have been overly involved in many things, I put Pukka's Promise aside until I had finished reading the two books I had been reading. I'm now sorry I didn't start reading Kerasote's recent book, published in 2013, sooner. I may have thought it would turn out to be sort of a Marly kind of book. I know Annette and Fred and, therefore, should have known better. I'm sorry Annette - Fred!

People who really care about the future health and fitness, as well as the beauty, of their dogs, regardless of the breed, would find this a 'must read' book. The first four chapters describe how Mr. Kerasote and his beloved Merle, a mixed breed dog who probably has some Lab and hound ancestors, met, fell in love and experienced life together.

In Chapter five, he gets into it. I have not finished Pukka's Promise yet. However, I have seldom read a book that fits the ideas that I have been trying to articulate regarding dog breeding, genetics, health, conformation, performance, inbreeding, cancer, eye and other inherited health issues, etc. as well as Pukka's Promise does.

I have been interested for a long time in what has happened to the health of some popular breeds: Pugs, Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Pekingese, etc. and the role the various licensing kennel clubs like the American Kennel Club, the Swedish Kennel Club, the British Kennel Club, the United Kennel Club, etc. have been able to play in their development. 

I do not believe that any kennel club is responsible for what happens to dogs in their registries. I believe that is the responsibility of the breeders.

However, I do believe that kennel clubs in general could be more helpful to breeders. At least one kennel club that I know of seems to have come a long way towards being just that, more helpful to breeders.

Anyone who cares about the health, the long term genetic health, of their breed, especially anybody who is involved in writing and updating a breed standard - for any breed - ought to listen to what Ted Kerasote is saying.

This book is, I feel, a 'must read' for anyone who is involved in dogs sports, dog breeding, conformation.  

There is excellent advice on care, training, feeding, vaccinations, etc. in this book. I will be changing some of my standard vaccination practices.

No comments: