Saturday, December 27, 2014

Icelandics Denning

I was warned by the Good Helga to watch my pregnant females carefully because the instinct to dig a den and have their pups is strong. So I watched Huld and Kata carefully as their due dates approached and, sure enough, they did try to dig a tunnel with a den at the end.

Recently Colleen Schmidt shared photos of Lavandels Vera (bred by Laurie Ball-Gisch) preparing for a possible litter of pups! All of my girls have done a lot of scratching  of towels, sheets, blankets, etc. in their whelping boxes before delivering.



It looks like this den has two openings, an entrance and an emergency escape exit! Clever dog. I hope our dogs retain their intact instincts, it's one of the many things that make them unique. Clicking on photos enlarges them.

No comments: