Friday, March 27, 2020

Winter/Spring in Michigan

When the weather's nice, I try to work outside. That's a real challenge in March and April in Michigan. I've finished cleaning out all of the bird houses - bluebird/tree swallow, house wrens/chickadees/etc.

Our country, like the whole world, is in chaos. I'm not surprised. Our beloved president is having a fight with our governor and has apparently told suppliers NOT to sell any health related supplies to our state. Perfect. My brother just sent a short treatise explaining why the corona virus is so dangerous. Perfect. And spring tornado season is upon us probably worse than ever. Perfect. The earth will survive. Will we. Should we. One day at a time, eh?

From the beginning of last week
Clicking on photos enlarges them.

I have a pile of wood chips left over from tree trimming crews clearing electric and telephone lines that I'm trying to spread around the garden before too many plants start to grow. I've been stockpiling cardboard from all my deliveries and saving magazines instead of taking them to the recycling center in Sandusky, Michigan. I lay down the cardboard and/or magazines and then cover them with a layer of wood chips. It's really hard work but it keeps my mind occupied. I'm making slow progress; sure could have used help.


The bluebirds (Sialia sialis) are still staking out their territories; I wonder what the tree swallows will make of this when they arrive - which should be any day now. I think our bluebird looks a little like the European Robin (Erithacus rubecula). Our Robin (Turdus migratorius) doesn't resemble the European one, imo but the behaviors of our American Robin (Turdus migratorius) and the European Blackbird (Turdus merula) are strikingly similar. Of course.

The next day
Bluebird - Sialia sialis

Bluebird - Sialia sialis

European Robin - Erithacus rubecula

American Robin - Turdus migratorius

European Blackbird - Turdus merula

Even when overcast, mornings here are lovely. I'm slowly adjusting to the change in time from standard to daylight savings.



I try to do my grocery shopping early before large numbers of people come to the stores. I haven't been able to buy lunch snack carrots for my dogs and was running out. Walmart hadn't had any for over a week. Fortunately one of my favorite stores here did. And because I was early, I was able to shop there with other Q-tips.


No comments: