Sunday, February 7, 2021

Frigid!

Yesterday I walked out my door to go to the mailbox and promptly slipped on a patch of black ice. I actually fell in slow motion. When I hit the ground, I could feel my brain bouncing on the inside of my skull. Literally. And, landing on my right side I'm sure I cracked some ribs. Today I'm in agony. Now, still moving in slow motion, I am cleaning out the puppy pen, feeding them, feeding the adults, washing the puppy things that need to be washed, doing the laundry, everything hurts. A lot. I took three Motrin and it's dulling the pain a bit. It's amazing how even a little movement causes sharp pains. Life!


Birna

I plan on taking the puppies in this coming Wednesday for their first wellness exam and their first vaccinations. (I had planned on taking them in before on their six week birthdays but they had only just stopped nursing. Nursing provides the puppies with mom's antibody protection and therefore vaccines which are supposed to start the pups' own antibody protections may not work as well.) It's interesting to watch them "play". The boy, Katur - I'm thinking of a name change, perhaps to Tryggur, looks much larger than the two girls, Birna and Kria. He does weigh slightly more but because his fur is much longer and thicker, he looks significantly larger. Regardless, as they play, sometimes he's on top of the puppy pile and sometimes Brina or Kria is. This is how they learn how to get along. That's an important lesson for all dogs. There was a time before the pups were born that I was a little concerned that Kit might have only one pup. Singletons lack the necessary socialization that happens as the pups are growing.


Kria

When I get up in the morning I have puppy chores to do. I need to clean out their x-pen (exercise pen) from the nights bathroom activities. It's surprising how much pee and poop three tiny puppies can produce in one night. Doesn't seem to bother them. Before I can feed them and change their water I clean everything first with paper towels, then chlorox wipes, then some fresh water to remove the stickiness from the vinyl flooring. My friend and mentor suggested that I go to a flooring store and get some leftover scrap sheets of vinyl flooring to put under the x-pen. I was concerned about the pups excretions spoiling the wood flooring. So far, it's been very successful. This morning because of my accident, things moved very slowly. I got the cleaning and feeding and watering and laundry done but, how's the old saying go? - You don't know what pain is until you've had what I have. Hahaha. Ouch.


Puppy Pile

I love my dogs. I'd be lost without them. I love gardening. I love my bonsai and orchids. I love reading. Qui ne risque rien, n'a rien. I have a lot. My mind, so far, is active. The Motrin are kicking in now. I'll add some photos and publish this. Tryggur has not found a forever home. Maybe it's going to be with me. 


Peace, Perfect Peace

Tryggur (aka Katur)

Tryggur, Kria

Tryggur, Birna, Kria

Tryggur

Tryggur, Birna

Tryggur (aka Katur)







No comments: