Thursday, February 11, 2021

Icelandic Sheepdog Pups

 One of the new owners asked me a question about collars, especially prong collars. I am sure I've talked about collars before but going back though all my old blog posts to find that particular post would have been exhausting. The views I'm going to express are mine alone. I've always believed and continue to believe that each new owner gets to make all those really important decisions for themselves. I will, if asked, also be happy to give my thoughts, my opinions. Thankfully with all of the search engines out there we can find lots of information. Most of it is good and well meaning, although there's always some inaccurate (bad?) advice too. Each trainer, each dog is different. Each person gets to make his or her own decisions about what's right for their dog and themselves



All of my dogs have good old fashioned leather collars with their name and my contact information on them as well as their license from the county proving they've been rabies vaccinated just in case. The only time I take that leather collar off is when I'm training my dogs. As I've mentioned, all my dogs are also microchipped. Collars can be lost. All vets now have chip readers that read all kinds of microchips.


For many years I was a volunteer dog trainer at Sportsmens Dog Training Club, an American Kennel Club affiliated club in the Detroit metropolitan area. For years we all used a choke collar. I suspect that some people still use a choke collar. I haven't for many years now. In my opinion derived from working with many diverse breeds and mixed breeds of dogs and reading about various training methods, using a choke collar is not the best way to train. Some people have switched to a Martingale (sp?) collar with is similar modus operandi but instead of being made of metal, it is made of nylon or some other perhaps synthetic fabric. It is a good alternative, in my opinion, to a metal choke collar and works reasonably well. I believe that a metal choke collar puts too much pressure on the trachea/esophagus area in the front of a dog's throat which could damage the trachea. The gagging, I believe, illustrates that pretty dramatically.


Prong Collar - Quarter - Measuring Device

Above is my prong collar. They come in many sizes. Cheap ones may be more likely to come apart. On the right end above there's a clip and a ring to attach the two ends together. That makes it a lot easier to put on and take off. To the uninitiated viewer it looks dangerous. IMO, it's much, much less harmful than a choke collar, a Martingale collar, and even a leather collar. All of those collars will put pressure on the trachea when a dog pulls on a leash. Probably that's at least one reason why many dog owners now use harnesses instead of collars?


I strongly believe that all dogs should be trained. Dogs are pack animals. Humans are pack animals. That's one reason why we get along with each other so well. Dogs are easy to train probably because they have a pack leader, an alpha, that they instinctively follow. You become that alpha, that leader, and they instinctively will follow you (unless you allow them to lead you - not a smart idea, imo.) I always encourage all my puppy adopters to at least go to a puppy kindergarten - after they've had all their appropriate vaccinations, are potty trained, and have an excellent recall. But while they are still puppies. As the rod is bent . . .  I actually encourage them, my puppies' adopters, to continue training after puppy kindergarten because dogs love to please their alpha and once you've started, the two of you will become even closer. Dogs love unconditionally.

I digress. The prongs on a prong collar look ferocious. They are not. Go to a pet supply store and ask one of the sales people to wrap one around your wrist and to pull on it like what would happen if you pulled on the collar attached to a leash. The prongs do not dig in, the "force" is distributed over all of the prongs. All of the other collars put the "force" on the trachea. NEVER leave a prong collar on. (For that matter, never leave a choke collar on.) Only use them while training. The individual prongs can be added to or removed from a prong collar to fit your dog's neck. (Ask the sales person to show you how to do that and how to attach the two ends.) Be sure the individual units are snapped into place. Prong collars may come apart during use. Many trainers use both a prong collar and another collar at the same time and, if they do, both are attached to the leash. (Sometimes prong collars come apart, using two collars is a safeguard, they say.)


Here's the thing. Icelandic Sheepdogs are really smart. Super smart. I have found that using a prong collar once could be enough. I always start training with a collar like a Martingale. If I don't have the dog's attention I add the prong collar. But I always wait - just to see if the dog is paying attention to me. I want my dogs to focus on me, their alpha. (Sounds conceited, maybe even cruel?) I don't want them looking at other people or other dogs. Me. I'm your buddy, your alpha. You cannot train a dog if you're not the center of its attention, I think.


Martingale Dog Collar


So start with a softer, more gentle (?) collar and use that for a while. Especially with a puppy.  Outside, for fun, while you're walking along, your leashed and collared dog at your left (preferably) side, is your dog watching you, paying attention to you? (I mean when you are really out for a walk in the woods, along a street in a neighborhood, or on a potty break.) If your dog is not paying attention to you, switch directions and call your dog to your side. The dog's attention can be more relaxed when it's just for fun, but it should always be aware of you.  After calling your dog to you, praise and reward your dog for coming. Always, always, always praise your dog for good behaviors. Also treat your dog - not every time. maybe to begin with every other time, then every third time. Gradually lessen the treats but always the praise. (You may not always have treats but you always have your praise voice.)

When you are training either in class or at home, the dog should be more focused on you. I have found that a for fun, or for potty, or on a street, or in the woods walk can be differentiated from a training session by using two different collars (or harnesses?) Use a leather collar or a harness or? for less serious and fun stuff. When you're training, use a special collar, perhaps your Martingale if that's what you'd like to use. Isn't that what joggers do? Change attire depending on their activity? Dogs, at least our dogs, will recognize that.


Digressing: Treats. I like to use bite sized pieces of kosher hot dogs and cheddar cheese - something they can chew once and swallow. I keep those treats frozen in my bait bag in the freezer.


If you find it hard to train, to keep your dog's attention on you, get more serious. That's when I resort to the prong collar. I have never not used a prong collar. (Double negatives are useful.) However, I rarely keep on using them. Once your position as THE alpha is established you can return to your Martingale (probably). The dog, once it realizes that you are serious and you are the boss, albeit a nice one, the pulling and the wayward looks at other people/dogs will stop. Do not jerk hard. Because it's simply not necessary. A slight leash tug will get their attention. They may yelp at first but it's not because they're hurt. It's because they're surprised. For them the feeling, I think, is similar to their mother gently wrapping her pup in a neck hold with her teeth to move them from prehaps one nest site to another. There is a point almost immediately after the prong collar is put on and gently tugged by you for the first time when your dog will actually look up to you and say (well almost say) oh my, dad/mom is serious. You will almost be able to see the mental wheels turning. You could also keep on using the prong collar because you will most likely only have to resort to a very light tug to remind the dog who's the alpha. Icies will catch on much faster - imo.


The sun is shining on my screen and I must stop - too hard to proof read. This is not usually an issue in Michigan - mostly cloudy, overcast days in the winter.

No comments: