Saturday, July 16, 2011

Vinlands Kani/Yankee/Tryggur




My Icelandic Sheepdog Kani aka Yankee or Tryggur, son of Korpur and Pila, was given back to me near the end of this week. He is from Korpur's last litter. His former owner said the fit wasn't quite right for her home. However, so far he seems to have adapted well in my home. I'm crossing my fingers. Please send positive thoughts my way.

I have been calling him "Tryggur" for the time being. He seems to respond nicely to the new name, perhaps it's because it starts with a "hard" sound. I have always loved that old fashioned Icelandic name and my Tryggur is a great young male. The name fits him perfectly.

He was born on April 15, 2010, my Aunt Kit's birthday, is fully registered in the AKC (DN27524102), the UKC (P641-586), and the CKC (1110387), and has 6 points including one major towards his AKC championship. A couple of friends have offered to finish him. I am thinking very seriously of taking them up on their offer. I have always preferred the action events like obedience, herding, rally and agility but there's something to be said for conformation.

We recently learned how conformation is done and graded in Europe and I think their way of evaluating their dogs makes great good common sense. The judges spend a great deal of time with each dog noting their good qualities and the qualities that need work. Matching up dogs so that one dog's weaker points are matched to a corresponding mate with stronger points to improve the weaker ones and vice versa makes sense, at least to me. Do you understand what I'm saying? I wish we had something like that over here.

I have not decided what is to be done with Tryggur. I would prefer not to adopt him back into our home but I am beginning to bond with him; it might become hard to give him up. I may have his hips checked soon to see what his scores are. I think that may help me decide our future.

I know he carries one b-gene for chocolate-brown, has one at-gene for tricolor, an Ay-gene for tan shades, has great strong double dews on his rear feet that are almost on the ground (take a good look at his right rear foot in the second photo), a nice tail and tail-set, an excellent top-line, good straight forward facing feet, almond-shaped dark eyes, great ears, a nice stop, good strong bones in his legs and feet, long fur, etc. At eight generations he has 120 ancestors and an Inbreeding Coefficient score of 0.488281%; at seven generations there are 63 ancestors and the IC score is 0%; at six generations 31 ancestors and 0%; and at five generation it is 15 and 0%. He carries lots of diversity which would make him an excellent match for virtually any female Icelandic here in North America. I am not an expert by any stretch of anyone's imagination but I do recognize the good points in my dogs - and the bad ones too.

In short, he is Korpur's son and then some! This guy is a serious contender!!!

I have been thinking that it's time to relax; time to focus on performance events. Then along comes Tryggur and I start daydreaming. - - - - - I literally do not know what to do. I'm praying for a miracle.

No comments: