Saturday, November 17, 2012

Itchy

I worked in the garden in my front yard today; I sat on the ground and was trimming my Quince - which tends to spread. I was in no hurry because it was a lovely, lovely fall day.
This evening I watched a BBC Sherlock Holmes production and was scratching my right leg a lot. I shook my pant leg and this* fell out: - 
I've been told about them for years but I believe that this is the first one I've ever seen. They say that when they have a thick coat in the middle, it means we are in for a hard winter. Looks like we'd better prepare ourselves. I've heard their hairs can cause irritation which explains my itchiness.

I took him back outside to find shelter for the coming freezing winter weather.


* - Wooly Bear caterpillar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrharctia_isabella

(You may have to copy and paste the web addresses above and below in order to find them.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=wooly+bear+caterpillar&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=CAZ&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NCioUOCEAcKiyAGtyIHoAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=597

No comments: