Friday, June 14, 2019

San Salvatore Beach, Lake Huron

The disappearing beach: Not long ago I could walk out on my beach about 50 - 150 yards off my bluff before I got to the waters of Lake Huron. Last night in rainy and stormy conditions the waves reached my bluff. This morning this is what was left of my "beach". Clearly there is not enough room now for a blanket or a beach bonfire. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.



 The above two photos show my new ravine-fix covering the drains which remove water from the ten acre surface area at the top of the bluff. The waters of Lake Huron have reached the bottom of the "ravine".




 Looking north this is the view my "beach". Near the top of the beach is my beach well.


This view (above) is looking south at my neighbors' beaches. They have only a tad more beach. I'm hoping the waters of Lake Huron don't rise even another millimeter. We have had so much rain this spring and early summer. I cannot imagine how the farmers are coping. My heart goes out to them. And we're looking forward to even more rain in the next few days. I think the Emergency Ark by Scott Hocking (see a previous post) must be a harbinger of "things to come".

This morning I took almost a dozen four year old hybrid plants that I produced by crossing a Clivia with an Agapanthus to Sandusky to give to Kevin and members of the "Soe and Hoe Garden Club". I'm hoping they will do well for them. Surprisingly it was hard to let them go. I know plants don't have feelings - - but I do!

A Jack in the Pulpit and a May Apple (in mid-June!!!)


It looks like my tiny Rhododendrons are finally starting to do well. Most were $6.99 a few years ago at Walmart and because the soil here is not Rhodo friendly, they've had a rough go of things. Can you spot the phony-rhodo? I've often wondered about what makes a plant more expensive and worth more when having when a look alike is often easier to grow and looks similar. Oh, well!










A fledgling King Bird yesterday morning was trying its wings outside the nest for the first time. Awkward and obvious I hope no peregrine or crow was watching. And another quilt!




No comments: