Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Flint Institute of Art, Aedwyn Darroll

Yesterday I visited the Flint Institute of Art after many months of absence, it was absolutely great to see their collection again. The expressways, roads, highways are chaotic in Flint. I had to exit the expressway early because of closures and wandered though the suburbs of Flint. Relying on my Viking sense of direction and no map I actually found the art institute. It did not take me long before I was actually inside and enjoying some old friends and some new acquaintances.



The visit prompted me to inventory my own art, something I've been meaning to do for a very long time. My art is on my walls. Many of the artists I know and their works mean something to me. My home is like an old fashioned photograph album. As I walk though my home or sit with a cup of coffee or tea or a glass of wine, I reminisce about old times and old friends now lost forever but still in my heart.

Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll was an instructor at the Parson School of Design in New York where he taught, among other things, color. He visited us several times and I now have three of his pieces. He was born in Cape Town, South Africa, traveled extensively, settled for several years in New York, then spent his last years in Marfa, Texas with his partner Richard Bradshaw. They were both great friends of ours.

My photos do not do justice to the colors - 
I am not a good photographer.

Nude - 1964 - 11.5" x 10.5" - Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll

Nude - 1964 - 11.5" x 10.5" - Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll

"Celebrate Diversity" - 1964 - 33" x 58" - Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll

"A Night at the Opera" - A Gathering of Old Friends  -1981
Triptych - 48" x 48", 60" x 48", 48" x 48"
Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll

"A Night at the Opera" - 48" x 48" - Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll
Ross Graham, David Redmayne, Albert Hochmeister, 


"A Night at the Opera" - 60" x 48" - Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll
Vivienne Drummond, Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll, 


"A Night at the Opera" - 48" x 48" - Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll
Christian, Richard Bradshaw

"A Night at the Opera" - 48" x 48" - Aedwyn "Ted" Darroll
Christian, Richard Bradshaw


No comments: