Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hotter than - - - -




It's been too hot to photograph the dogs outside so I've been doing flowers of the late summer garden. By this time of the year it's really hot and dry and weedy. Who wants to work outside when it's in the nineties? Not me.

Garlic chives can be used like regular chives but they give dishes a bit a a garlic flavor - yummy.

I have only a few species of Hosta. Species of Hosta are the wild ones - the ones plant hybridizers started with. Most commercial Hosta are hybrids or sports (mutations). I grow some of my Hosta plants from seeds and some I buy and divide when they get big enough. This species Hosta is even pretty when the buds are forming - They look a bit like cranes.

Plants that come up from seeds that I do NOT plant I call "volunteers". Some of my favorite plants came up from seeds that birds or the wind must have dropped in my yard. They are the most interesting, in my opinion.

Helenium is a nicer name than tickweed, eh? Some of mine are pure yellow like the one in this photo. Others have bands of brown.

As always, click on photos once or twice to enlarge them in order to see more detail. You can use the back arrow to return to the blog.

Some people don't seem to realize that plants need:
1.) Sun to grow - hello? They make their own food using sunlight. If they don't get sun, they simply do not thrive. They might live but are not healthy and therefore not resistant to stress and parasites. Even shade loving plants need some sun.

2.) Water. You have to water plants if you want them to thrive.

3.) CO2 - plants need carbon dioxide which they can easily get from the air.

When they combine carbon dioxide and water using chlorophyll they can produce their own food, simple sugars. Simple, eh?

No comments: