Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hughes Gardens' Iris

For several years I visited Hughes Gardens on Lahser in Southfield to purchase unusual and old fashioned garden plants. Hughes was an avid gardener and sold plants from his yard and garden for many years as Southfield changed from a rural setting to an urban one.

On my very last visit there before he passed away and his 'farm' was sold to build something big and modern I found a small, wild species iris - not in flower. It has since flowered every year and been divided a couple of times. It's never vigorous but the small late spring/early summer flowers are gorgeously colored. This is my best effort so far to capture its unique orchid-like beauty. I fail every time.

                                              Click on the photo to see it better.
                          If anyone knows the name of this species, please let me know.

No comments: