Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday, May 6, 2012




The Icelandic Sheepdog puppies are almost five weeks old today, Sunday, May 6, 2012. Some visitors came yesterday and the puppies "crashed" even before they left. The pups had a blast - as did the rest of the wolf-pack here. At one time or another all of the dogs were in with the puppies visiting. Everyone was well behaved although a few times puppies almost got squashed by an adult sitting or stepping on them. The adults must have a sixth sense to avoid stepping on the little tykes. They really are gentle with them.

Isla has a new forever home with Sally; Saga will be with Stacy, Dylan and Brooks; Sunna will be going to live with Mike and Debbi; Wodin is moving out of the country to be with Imelda and Steve in Canada; 

Linda and Mike are adopting Soffia, the Nike "Swoosh" puppy. She will end up living near me which will be a treat because maybe I will be able to see them train her at Sportsmen's, my obedience, rally, agility and conformation club in Warren, Michigan where they live.

Linda and Mike found me through their friend Jill who was my absolutely awesome agility instructor when I first started training with Kata.

Jennifer is training Lee at Sportsmen's now and I get to see Lee with Sylvia and Jennifer often - not often enough, but often. 

Sal and Sally have expressed interest in Thora.  

Can you find "your" new family member in these photos? 

At this age we can start to "guess" which pups will have longer fur and which ones will have shorter fur. Can you see the difference? 

I'm afraid that if we are not careful, we could lose the short haired variety. That would be a real shame, in my opinion. I know the longer haired dogs seem to do better in the conformation or breed show ring. I love all the variety in our breed and to lose even a small part of that variety would mean, imo, that we have not been good stewards of the breed.

The puppies that look like they are going to have shorter fur, actually "look" smaller. They are not. The weights of the longer haired pups and the shorter haired pups are similar; the shorter haired pups just aren't as fluffy!

(Just when I finally understand how to use my blogger account, things are changed. I think you can still enlarge the photos by clicking on them. It's not easy taking photos of puppies while they swirl around their x-pen. I think everyone is here at least once. Let me know if I missed your puppy!!!)

top - Saga, Sunna, Wodin, Soffia
2nd - Soffia
3rd - Sunna
4th - Sunna, Isla, Thora
5th - Sunna, Isla, Thora
6th - Sunna, Saga, Soffia

No comments: