Thursday, November 19, 2015

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Still warm enough to work outdoors - in a T-shirt - in the west forest. I love being outside this time of the year. Spring and fall are my favorite seasons; I seldom do any work outside in the summer - too hot and too sunny; the winter? I read. I am continuing to cut down volunteer Russian olives (now curiously called autumn olives by most people); and prune off dead branches from the several kinds of evergreens (pines, spruce, firs, etc.). Every once in a while I stumble into a hole left by someone who has dug and kidnapped one of my trees. I wish they'd just ask. There are dozens of volunteers that I would be happy to part with if asked. That way I could fill in the holes so I wouldn't trip and hurt myself.

 Sunsets are amazing here too.

 Right after I moved here, uncharacteristically I bought a small planter with several annual plants. I placed it on my west porch railing and the plants did well all summer but died when freezing weather came. Late this summer  some volunteer annuals from that planter appeared next to my porch steps. You know I love volunteers.


No comments: