Monday, August 22, 2016

Messages - Confusing and Hidden

My eyesight is not as good as it once was, which is not surprising actually. For example, I cannot make out the letters of what is obviously a message from above. Can you please help? First word seems to start with the letter E in cursive. Eugene? Eugenia?


I Ching (pronounced "E" as in the letter E) and Ching as in the sound we say a cash register makes (Ka Ching), was MIA for several days but has reappeared. She has not eaten since reurning and is sleeping a lot.

(an older photo)

My favorite day lily and a wonderful Helenium. Fall is a sad-ish time but every season has its delights and these two help lift my SADD spirits.

As I wrote the above, a hummingbird was sipping nectar from the orange throat of a jewel weed just outside my office window. Jewel weed is actually an annual invasive weed producing offspring in the hundreds every year. Fortunately it is very easy to identify and remove the seedlings in the early spring. I always let a few orange flowered individuals survive just so I can enjoy my hummers as they build strength for their amazing annual migration back over the Gulf of Mexico to warmer southern climes each fall. Clicking on photos enlarges them.




Most of the original butterfly bushes I bought several years ago have died out but there are several volunteers around that the bumble bees, honey bees, various species bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, and hummingbird moths (aka sphinx moths) enjoy. The one below is spectacular because it has such a huge flower head at the end of each branch. I don't know if that's a function of nature (genetics) or nurture (really good soil, water, sun).



Sunset looking west first and then three looking east. Where, oh where is Ed Duff? Perhaps with skies like these I don't really need him.





I was hoping and planning on having more visitors this summer; perhaps it's been too hot. I blame myself for moving so far away from the familiar. I love sharing my good fortune. "Point de roses sans epines." eh?

No comments: