Sunday, August 7, 2016

Sunday, August 7, 2016

If you look closely at the next two photos below, you can see that here at Sans Souci aka San Salvatore we are doing our part in helping Monarch butterflies come back in numbers after several disappointing years. There are actually two butterflies mating in case you couldn't see.





I purchased ten tomato plants by post, two each of five varieties: Genuine, Grandma's Pick, White Currant, Manitoba, Japanese Trifele. They arrived from Territorial Seed Company at the perfect time for planting for my zone; summers are rather short here. Honestly! These tomatoes (below) taste exactly like I remember tomatoes tasting from my childhood before they manipulated tomatoes genetically to be perfectly round, with red necks (instead of green ones near the flower stalk), and tougher skin for shipping. Genuine is a modern cross between two heirlooms Fantastic. I cannot wait to try slices in BLTs.


There are several volunteer sunflowers from left behind oiler seeds that I fed birds last winter. They are such incredibly happy plants! I have a really nice painting of spent sunflower heads painted by Bryant Tillman. Maybe I can get him to paint me one that's still flowering.


Rudbeckia and cup plants (Silphium perfoliatum) make a bold, and very tall, statement outside my fenced north garden. Both came from small divisions I took from my former home. Clicking on photos enlarges them.


The Dahlia lady didn't offer divisions for sale from her plants this spring. In fact she didn't even plant her roadside garden north of Port Sanilac and I've missed it  - lots. I hope she's OK. The tubers I bought last year survived in the garage over the winter and are doing much better this year - the soil is getting better - than last year.


I recently saw a clip of Judy Garland singing Over The Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz movie on You Tube. Toto was seated on the seat of a hay mower similar to the one below. Did you know that the studio heads didn't want to include that song in the movie. Amazing. They said the song slowed things down too much. I know a lot of people who would disagree.

I read the book long, long before I ever saw the movie or heard the song. Loved the book. Always interesting, ain't it.

I want a hay mower like this!


No comments: