Monday, December 12, 2016

Merlin Returns! Monday, December 12, 2016

It has snowed for more than 24 hours now; we woke up to a world metamorphosed by snow. Lovely, white snow. Back in the city the white snow lasts only a few hours because of snow plows, pollution, traffic, etc. Here it lasts for days.

I have decided to stop calling Xmas trees, Xmas trees. The custom was borrowed by the "Church" from northern European tribes that used them for Jul celebrations so I'm going to try and call them Jul trees now. Let's see how long that lasts, OK? As most people know, Jesus was born in the spring. The "pagan" holiday Jul was a celebration for when the shortening days stopped and days started getting longer again. After December 21, the days start to get longer again as we journey around the sun.

Regardless, here are "my" Jul trees this morning.
Snow and ice decorate them and they are alive.
Click to enlarge.




"My" hawk returned and I'm so glad. Perhaps someone can help me identify her/him. I think it's a Merlin or Pigeon Hawk and probably either a female or a young one. She's about a meter/yard from one of my feeders. When she flies in, the birds scatter and the dogs bark. She must be successful because she does come back. Clicking on photos enlarges them.



Rick Conquergood arrived while I was typing; I didn't hear his truck but the dogs did. Driveway all plowed both to the house (San Salvatore) and the pole barn (Sans Souci). With my garbage I walked up to the road this morning to put it by Lakeshore Road to be picked up. LOVELY walk in the dark. I saw deer, fox, and mice tracks in the snow. It doe not get better than that.

No comments: